LLM GUIDE - Master of Laws (LL.M.) Programs Worldwide

The Times Publishes 2009 UK Law School Rankings

LSE, KCL, and Leicester score big jumps from last year's ranking

Jul 1, 2008

British daily newspaper The Times has published its Good University Guide 2009. Notable changes on this year's Law School Ranking from last year include the London School of Economics (LSE) and King's College London (KCL) moving up to the 3rd and 4th behind Cambridge and Oxford. Leicester made a big jump to 8th place (from 21st place last year). Queen Mary moves up 4 spots to 12th.

The top 20 ranked universities are listed below. To see the rankings in full, click here.

Related Programs

Comments

• csriley, Sat Sep 01, 2012 07:40 AM

Call mclef and see what'sup

• mllm, Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:22 PM

Hi luke6879, it is not all and always about the rankings of Guardian, Times or others. And even if it is for you, keep in mind that rankings are based on numerous criteria some of which are poor research activities or even lack of finance to promote themselves. Some not-a-top10-university can still offer good or even better education and deliver special knowledge the TOPs cannot. Simply because some courses might not be the areas of their expertise.

I'm afraid I don't have sufficient info to talk about KLC or Warwick, but I certainly have regarding Queen Mary. QMUL is known for outstanding IP or banking and finance courses. Some of my colleagues who now work at Baker & McKenzie and Allen & Overy graduated from QMUL. And they agree to someone's post here on llm-guide saying that QMUL has one of the best IP expertise in the UK.

Rankings are more crucial to those who apply for LL.B or other undergraduate law degree. I wasn't and wouldn't be that much concerned about rankings in view of LL.M program that lasts one year long. Firstly, because LL.M is usually done by those who already has some working experience, which is of much more value to employer than theory without practical application. And secondly, as the practice shows, Oxford LL.M degree doesn't reserve a place in a good firm over the opponent with LL.M from Southampton or other university with lower ranking. It's much more than just a good name of university.

If I were in your position I would go through the modules each university has to offer and find which one in terms of content might be more beneficial to you. Hopefully you also got some feedback from alumnis by now, which is always helpful.

• luke6879, Fri Apr 02, 2010 08:51 PM

ps. can anyone give me first hand experience of which llm is better, queen mary's, kcl or warwick, iv heard the staff at kcl aren't very useful, is this true? also can we rely on this ranking for queen mary, which is 8th now?

• luke6879, Fri Apr 02, 2010 06:53 PM

Hi, I stumbled upon this entry when I searched google for 'leicester is shit', I graduated in 2008, all i can say is everything is very unpredictable, and if you strat away from the syllabus when answering questions, if the marker doesnt know what your talking about, you get a 2.2. i felt hard done by the university compared to my friends at other unis who felt that their management was better than that in leicester.

i am having fun, but the uni doesnt do enough to make sure that all students have the information needed before they choose modules, which is why those who have spoken to friends in the year above know the easier subjects (there shouldnt be subjects easier than each other, they should be consistent) its not just me, when everyone got their exam results back, there were definate trends and inconsistencies in particular subjects, which is just playing with peoples futures and should be managed and made consistent.

but overall i can't know the uni, i agree with nathan that many of the staff are good and also that there are definate problems which need fixing, which nathan is unaware of

• K M Ashiquzzaman Anowar, Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:52 PM

I think this is a true reflection of worldwide ranking of universities in relation to LL.M. But the authority should have included one of the university of Bangladesh, as there are many university in Bangladesh which deserves to be ranked as one of the top ten universities.

• Nathan Woodcock, Sat Jan 16, 2010 07:41 PM

I am going to write in the University of Leicester's defence not purely out of loyalty but with my experiences thus far. Karthik and I have had this conversation last year and my opinion hasn't changed. The University of Leicester is a good university which is getting better year on year. I will address the criticisms above and then add my own thoughts.

Stan's criticisms:

"Student and teacher quality was pretty poor" - My experience was the complete opposite to this. Every department in every discipline have bad apples but from my experience in Leicester all the academics have helped me go forward in my studies.

The rest of Stan's comment is pure abuse with no credibility so I will not give it the respect it doesn't deserve by responding to it.

Karthiks comments:

Regarding the difference in marking - Mate it's a matter of subjectivity no matter what system you're in. In addition to this it just depends on the stuff written down rather than how you think you've done.

The University of Leicester is going higher and higher in the tables and student satisfaction tends to be high (despite the two comments above). At this University you feel like you're part of a Community rather than bogged down all the time.

My time at Leicester will always be remembered as a positive experience.

• Karthik, Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:35 PM

I am inclined to agree with leicester, i was genuinely ill for a long time unable to take exams where most students just abused the process, when i did my exams in september as a first take, the marking was a joke. in june the exams were marked by 3 liberal markers, whilst in september they were mostly marked by 1 person, who was extremely conservative. despite the questions being the same and me being a top student there, there was a huge difference in marking. in what sort of uni can u get 78% in a competition law exam just memorising three model answers (which is what my friends did). also the staff in leicester, with the exception of the leafing academics are SHIT, lazy and NEVER reply to emails. cant wait to leave this shit hole.... on the other hand i know rich chinese students who have literally paid a company to do all their coursework and then they punish u for not memorising useless shit instead of engaging with real academia. Your totally right stan, the EU course, the criminal law course are a joke. We literally have to memorise twice as much for eu and land law compared to my friends at better unis

• Max, Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:56 PM

I think Birmingham should be up there with the top, it follows the Oxford style of teaching and has some of the best lecturers in the country according to area of law, and the course is both intense and intellectually stimulating at the same time. So big thumbs up to them. And yes Leicester does not deserve to be anywhere near the top, my friends go there, its for under-achievers and alcoholics, who are just wannabe lawyers.

• Junyeop Kim, Tue Apr 28, 2009 01:22 PM

When will KCL return to its glory days of 1997, when it was ranked 1st? KCL Law School's reputation keeps falling. In 1999, I remember it was ranked 3rd. This year, 4th....

• stan, Mon Sep 01, 2008 06:20 AM

I went to Leicester University first to do an LLB. The course structure was lame to the extreme, teaching total rubbish in your first year. Modules like "learning legal skills", "cirminal justice system", and "civil justice system" wanted to give a Poly style LLB, some cool sounding essence. Student and teacher quality was pretty poor and the course were deliberately made difficult by putting unnecessary contents to memorise in undergraduate years when you should ideally be exploring academic side of things. But they were adament to make it "look" professional. Fortunately I left before finishing my first year and went to LSE. LSE was a refreshing change of surroundings as well as intellectual climate. Leicester was full of binge drinking pathetic little wanna be law students shagging about and posing they were some sort of intellectual creme de la creme. And there you go Times screwed it again! For a senseless rank table like this one, I choose leicester over nottingham. Result, a year wasted, about 8K down the drain, and bitter experience of the club capital of UK! SO I'd suggest dont go for this rank table, this is a total sham...

• kubi, Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 AM

I do not consider the rankings a true reflection of the competence and status of the faculties of law, at best, they are mere 'predictictions' or 'projections' amd nothing more. To me I find it absolutely absursd that suddenly KCL is ranked above UCL,....on what grounds or basis...and again, here comes University of Leicester from the blues....THUMBPS DOWN FOR TIMES...i'm so dissapointed in Times for this deliberate act of misrepresentations...THUMBS DOWN TO YOU GUYS!

• dhruva dakhore, Tue Jul 08, 2008 03:21 PM

the best guide for law students all over the world.....