LLM GUIDE - Master of Laws (LL.M.) Programs Worldwide

US Bar Exam FAQ

By Ilona Stanley, May 1, 2009

Some practical info for foreign lawyers considering taking a US bar exam after the LL.M.

Why should I take the bar exam in the United States?

A lot of you probably already know the answer to this. Indeed, many choose to pursue an LL.M. in the United States precisely because they want to take a US bar exam. But for lawyers studying in the USA for other reasons, there are many reasons to do it.

First, it can look good on your CV – both to US and foreign employers – if you obtain a US legal qualification rather than just pursuing a degree. Moreover, by passing the bar, you can demonstrate your understanding of US Law – often a real challenge after just a year of study in the USA. Finally, passing a state’s bar exam will, subject to the individual attorney admission requirements of the state, allow you to practice law in that state as a fully admitted lawyer. This can be much more challenging, and can offer better job prospects than working as a law clerk or foreign legal consultant. Of course, only you can decide whether taking a bar exam is right for you.

In what state should I take the exam?

Like the decision to take any bar exam at all, the decision on which state’s exam to take is a highly personal one. When deciding which state’s bar exam to choose, remember that, with extremely limited exceptions, you will only be admitted to practice law in the state where you pass the examination. Therefore, if you are planning to continue practicing in the USA after taking the examination, it might be a good idea to base the decision on where you would like to work or live rather than which state has the easiest admission requirements.

On the other hand, if you don't plan to live in the USA after the exam, you might consider the simplicity of the state’s requirements. For instance, New York is a very popular state for foreign lawyers seeking a US legal qualification (although the bar examination is by no means easy), while California is considered one of the more difficult states in which to obtain a qualification.

What can I expect generally from the exam?

The examination is taken in several parts over two or more days. Most states dedicate one day to the Multistate Bar Examination, a multiple-choice examination covering such topics as Contracts, Torts, Property, Constitutional Law, and Evidence, not specific to the law of any one state.

Another day would cover the law of the specific state administering the exam. This could be a multiple-choice exam or an essay exam, or both. In addition, the exam may include the Multistate Performance Test, designed to evaluate lawyering skills rather than substantive law.

In addition, some states such as California have a first-year law student examination, but foreign law graduates may be exempt from this requirement.

Finally, you will most likely be required to pass the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam, which is administered on a separate occasion from the regular bar exam, and tests your knowledge of professional ethics.

As a foreign lawyer, am I eligible to take the bar exam?

Many US states permit foreign law graduates to sit their bar examinations if they meet specific requirements. A discussion of some of the requirements of two major states:

New York:
Section 520.6 of the New York Rules of the Courts of Appeals for the Admission of Attorneys and Counselors at Law, 22 NYCRR 520.1-520.15 contains eligibility requirements for individuals who have a foreign legal education. Under this section, an individual with a foreign legal education can qualify for the bar examination if the legal education was: 1) successfully completed; 2) at least three years in duration; and 3) taken in a country where the legal system is based on the English common law system.

If either 2) or 3) does not apply to you, you may be able to “cure” the problem by pursuing a course of study at a law school in the USA. In other words, if you either do not have a three-year degree in law from your country, or your country does not follow the English common law legal system, then you may still be eligible to take the bar after pursuing a course of study in the USA at a law school approved by the American Bar Association. Please note that under no circumstances would a course of study shorter than two years from a common-law country, or three years from a non-common-law country, be acceptable, even in connection with additional study in the USA.

The study itself is also subject to different requirements. First, it must be an actual “program of study,” meaning that you must be matriculated at your chosen university rather than just taking a course or two. One possible course of study is an LL.M., but this is not required. The program must involve a minimum of 20 semester hours of academic credit in order to qualify, which means that you would be required to complete 20 hours per week of study, per semester. The program you choose must be successfully completed, even if that involves completing more than the 20 semester hours of credit.

The courses must be in “professional law” subjects, rather than independent study or non-law subjects. At least two courses must be in subjects that are tested on the New York bar exam (known under the New York Rules as “basic courses in American law”). Under New York Board of Law Examiners rules, these subjects are: business relationships; conflict of laws; constitutional law (New York and federal); contracts; criminal law and procedure; evidence; family law; New York and federal civil jurisdiction and procedure; professional responsibility; real property; remedies; torts (including statutory no-fault provisions); trusts, wills and estates; and Uniform Commercial Code articles 2, 3 and 9. To determine exactly which courses are acceptable, you may want to check with your university.

To learn more about the eligibility requirements for the New York Bar exam, visit the website of the New York State Board of Law Examiners.

The requirements for taking the California bar exam are similar to those in New York, except that every foreign law graduate must complete an entire year of law study at an approved law school in the US except those who are admitted to the practice of law in their home country. Foreign-admitted lawyers do not require any additional study.

On the subject of the “first-year law students’ examination,” there appears to be conflicting information on whether foreign law students are required to pass it before becoming eligible to take the California bar. It is highly recommended that you contact the California Conference of Bar Examiners to obtain an individual evaluation of your eligibility.

To learn more about the eligibility requirements for the exam, visit the website of the State Bar of California.

Other states:
Each state has its own requirements. Many of the requirements are extremely complex, and may include reduced or different requirements for applicants who are already admitted to the bar of another US state or of their home country. It is strongly recommended that you contact the state where you seek to be admitted to learn their requirements and, if possible, have them individually assess your eligibility.

To get an overview of the individual requirements of each state, check out the National Conference of Bar Examiners’ Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements 2009 here.

Photo: _cck_ / Creative Commons


  • Goof Pleasanton attorney, Today, 06:24 AM

    Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about
    this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that
    you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that,
    this is great blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

  • hosna jahan, Tue Sep 16, 2014 04:50 PM

    I hold a law degree from bangladesh and currently a permanent resident of USA. Can I take an LLM degree any where in NY near to qeens that will qualify me to sit for the state's bar exams as well.
    Thank you..

  • Hinal, Thu Sep 11, 2014 07:04 PM


    I am a lawyer from India. I have an experience in the legal filed since a year. I would like to practice in the US as lawyer. Do I only have New York as an option to practice if i clear the bar? Can I study LLM and later practice in a different state? Does the State of California allow me to practice as a lawyer?


  • Krishna Tingrikar, Sat Aug 09, 2014 07:11 AM

    I am Post graduate in commerce and completed three year law degree in India. I have completed Post graduate diploma in Arbitration,NALSAR,India. I am 62 years. I am praticising as Lawyear in Hyderabad,India for the last three years. Can I pratice In U.S.A. Can I pratice in USA after completing LLM in USA without Bar Exam.

  • amandeep kaur, Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:01 PM

    I am lawyer and i complete mine llb from india will foreign rules are appplicable on me lyk other foriegn student or not ,can i practicing in usa courts or nt

  • Chukwuma Amadi, Fri Mar 21, 2014 08:37 PM

    I hold a law degree from Nigeria and currently a permanent resident of USA. Can I take an LLM degree any where in Massachusetts that will qualify me to sit for the state's bar exams as well.

  • Leila, Wed Sep 25, 2013 04:48 AM

    Hi, I have master in law from Iran, and now, I`m living in the U.S. I want to know if I can work with my degree here or not. also, I want to know if I take LLM. program, can I have any job and work without taking bar exam?
    thank you

  • Alain, Tue Sep 17, 2013 09:11 PM

    The article is from May 1, 2009....

  • LLMpro, Fri Sep 13, 2013 02:42 PM

    WARNING! The information contained in this article titled "US Bar Exam FAQ" regarding the bar exam requirements for New York is INCORRECT. New York's Rules were amended two years ago. Either this article is outdated or the writer did not take the time to make sure she was citing the current rules. If you are interested in sitting for the NY bar exam I would strongly recommend that you trust only the information that is contained on the official website at the New York State Board of Law Examiners at www.nybarexam.org. If you make decisions based on information contained on unofficial sites you risk being found ineligible for the bar exam and possibly wasting the large sum of money spent on an LLM program.

  • bita, Tue Aug 13, 2013 01:36 AM

    I have finished my Bachelor degree in law in Iran and I am in the USA right now for LLM program.I wanted to know can I take the Bar exam in California or New York after graduation?

  • juhi, Tue Feb 26, 2013 08:49 AM

    Dear Sir
    I am a US citizen currently pursuing 5 years law degree from India. Will the same rules which are applicable to other foreign law students will be applicable for me or there will be certain exceptions?

  • Cintya, Thu Jan 24, 2013 02:57 AM

    I have my degree in Law form Ecuador , but I have been living in the States for the last 10 years , I wold like to become a lawyer here..what are my options?..Do I need to apply to a Law School, or get an LLM....Need some help, Thnaks..

  • Morteza.Cheraghi, Thu Nov 08, 2012 02:40 PM

    I\'m lawyer in Iran ,I wish know how can became lawyer in USA and What conditions would need to be able to have that as a lawyer in America؟ Can I use the scholarship free? please complete it for me to explain the situation, and what university scholarships can I use?

  • krishna, Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 AM

    hi i have llb 5 years degree form india i whant to perasue llm imegration law

  • Sylvie Nomeny, Thu Apr 19, 2012 09:13 PM

    LLM GUIDE, for Foreign Legal Consultant

  • yudhishthir, Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 PM


  • professionalexpe, Sun Mar 04, 2012 03:15 PM



  • Uche Alison, Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:10 PM

    Please, i have a Bsc Insurance at the university of Lagos,Nigeria,but will like to obtain a masters degree in international law. Will it be possible to have a direct entering into any of the universities in USA for international law.

  • Alcira Buzzetta, Tue Jan 17, 2012 01:41 AM

    I am a Lawyer graduated in Venezuela 20 years ago, i have a Master degree on Industrial Relations, i lived in New York for 10 years already I would like to become a Lawyer in the USA what do i need to do?

  • Akutahpiusakuta, Sat Dec 31, 2011 09:23 PM

    I have always wanted to have a law practice license in the USA, and didn't know how to ga about it but now it's clear to me how to go about it, I'm so grateful I visited this site. I practice law in my country Nigeria after A five years law programs and one year Law school study. I currently work with the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Justice as a state Attorney specializing in International Criminal Law and so much interested in understanding the Americal legal system and be able to practice here. On this private trip to the USA, the interest to be a musty jurisdictional Attorney is highly intensified, A study of American Legas system to me portends great possibility of understanding the dynamics of International Law and Politics. I pray and hope my dream will come through.

  • preetandpeace, Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 AM

    I am looking to do LLM in USA. As I have LLB from India.
    And want to sit for Bar exam in USA. Most of the states want LLM in USA.
    Please tell me is there any full time or Part time LLM program which is Least expensive and is accepted as a credited Law school by ABA to qualify for Bar exam.
    So far I found 1 year full time LLM for $35000.

    Please let me know
    Thanks in advance.
    [email protected]

  • sarvin bourbour, Sun Dec 11, 2011 09:45 AM

    I am a member of BAR ASSOCIATION OF IRAN and working as a lawyer for seven years.could you please give me some information about how I would able to work in the USA as a lawyer ?What courses I should take to obtain US legal degree?

  • ghazal, Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 AM

    i 'm a lawyer and have my master in international law from IRAN.
    i wanna know if im eligible to work in the Us as an lawyer ,after passing my phd course or ther is 'nt possible. it is important for me to know after obtaining my ph d degree ,it is possibl to work or not

  • HIREN LAKHANI, Wed Nov 23, 2011 05:08 PM

    Thank you,

    Its very helping me to practising in USA Judicial System.

  • Jason D, Tue Nov 22, 2011 08:34 PM

    How would my girlfriend who is Peruvian living and practicing law in Lima, educated in a city called Huanuco, be able to practice law in Albuquerque, where I live and am from. I just got back from visiting her, she wants to be here with me. But we would want to know what classes or requirements she would need so she wouldn't have to come as a maid or fast food worker or something like that. Thanks and God bless.

  • priya, Tue Nov 08, 2011 02:02 PM

    im a law graduate from india ..i have done my three year law from india..and has also done LLM from india.Bt i hv not practised in india as an advocate. For a legal job in us what all i have to do??

  • Adam, Sun Oct 30, 2011 05:16 AM

    I am planning to sit for newyork bar exam, can you suggest the best course material to prepare at home.

  • gerta, Sat Oct 29, 2011 07:53 AM

    is it possible to obtain a law degree in the US but practice in india?

  • Richard, Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 PM

    I have an LLB degree of The Haque University and already work several years as an bachelor lawyer in the Netherlands. Am I be eligible to take the bar exam and practice law in the USA?

    Best regards,

  • purni, Wed Aug 10, 2011 07:13 AM

    hi, I completed 3years studies of law at Sri Lanka law college and completed apprenticeship of six months.I am a Attorney at Law with 7 months working experience in legal filed.Please let me know whether I can work as a lawyer in USA

  • niki, Sat Aug 06, 2011 02:18 PM

    hi, i completed my LLB (5YEARS) from india and enrolled under bar council of india since passing. i wish to know if i am eligible to write the new york or california bar exam without taking any additional degree from US(like LLm). a reply from you would be really helpful. thanking you in anticipation.

  • paola, Wed May 25, 2011 03:19 AM


    I want to know if I am a lawyer form Latin America, and I want to study a LLM in Colorado for a year, can I take the Bar Exam with out study the JD in Colorado? Or I must study it? is other stated that allows me to do the bar just with my US LLM? thank you !

  • Aaromal, Tue Apr 26, 2011 07:25 AM

    hi ,
    Am a law graduate (5 yrs {integrated course}) from India , I also completed my LL.M ( Administrative Law) from India , I would like to know whether I can apply to the Bar for US , so that i can practice there in US and also would like to take a pH.D from a university in United States

  • Doris, Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 PM

    Hi. I want to clarify to many of you, certain points:

    No one with just a Bachelor in Law can sit on an American Bar Exam.

    In United States of America, its required to have a Bachelor degree at least, first, and after that degree (of about 4-5 years full time)... you will be required to have a FORMAL Law School degree of 3 (full time) or 4 (part time) YEARS .. so at least your studies will last 7 years if you are competent and fast!

    U can study art, science, politics, law, medicine, .. anything.. but that have to be a Bachelor first and after that, the minimum 3 more years of Law School.

    Some States (in USA) allow QUALIFIED Lawyers to sit in their Bar Exams, if you have certain years working and in good standing as a lawyer, in your country.. BUT, BUT.. not every States in USA allow that..!!!!

    Sometimes a Lawyer, solicitor or Attorney could be very good in their countries but for them (in many states of the USA), is not enough.. IT\'S REQUIRED TO HAVE THE BACHELOR AND ALSO, THE FORMAL LAW DEGREE.. and some states does not care if you add a LLM to that, if your school, is not approved my the American Bar Association (ABA)

    If you go, from America to UK (to work as a Barrister or Solicitor), will be the same also.. you will be required to \'convert\' your legal studies to theirs.. with a series of courses and after that you will have to FIND, someone who contract you as a TRAINEE (for 2 years), in their Legal Firm, to sit in 4 chairs (1 every 6 month), to complete the training contract, to after that, sit to take the UK Bar Exam. So would take around 4 years more of those 7 years in USA BA\'s and JD\'s.!

    I wish one day, we could standardize the \'LEGAL PROFESSION\' in order for many of us, practice where our clients needs it... with this globalization \'world\' its only fair and obvious.!

    Kind Regards to all of you.!!!! And lots of Success pursuing the qualification in the countries every one of you, want it more.!!!

    Sincere Hugs.!

  • Schneider, Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:56 AM

    My situation is this: I am practising law in the Caribbean with UK LLB, LLM qualifications. I wish to now practice in the US and sit the bar exam for either DC or NY. I have read a bit that DC may allow LLM holders to sit the bar exam. Naturally I do not want the expense of another LLM course in the US. The question is has anyone holding a LLM from the UK sat the DC BAR or NY exam without any further courses in the US and is now practising? Also is anyone out there a Legal Consultant using their foreign qualifications? If yes, what is the range of responsibilities? I will look out for an answer, thanks.

  • Khaled Al.Kandiry, Sat Oct 30, 2010 01:46 PM

    Dear Sir,

    I work a lawyer since 1996 in the State of Kuwait and i join many works there as a diplomatic, private lawyer at commercial field and a governmental aviation entity lawyer. I was graduate from my country law school and i intend to practice as a lawyer in USA (New Yourk) after i take LL.M. degree from us university (LL.M. degree for non-us lawyers). Did that enabling us to take bar exam in the future?.

    Thanking you,

  • mara dunn, Fri Oct 08, 2010 07:46 PM

    I have an Italian law degree from the University of Padua and did my two years internship in an Italian law firm. I had to move to the States following my husband who was in the US army and can't find any any job despite my high level of education.How could I take the bar without getting my JD and in which States?we now live in Tx but I'm willing to move if it could help me going back to my job...

  • Eduardo, Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:03 PM


  • HILDA C. FAJARDO, Fri Aug 27, 2010 09:37 PM

    I studied Law in Colombia. I live in Florida. I have to send my documentos to be traslated and evaluated and they'll tell me the equivalence of my studies with the studies in USA. Before pay I'd like to know if with this carreer I have an Associate or bachellor or I don't have any credit.

  • Joe, Mon Jul 12, 2010 06:30 AM

    I have completed my bachelors in law (LLB) from India which is a three year course and passed my QLTT (in the process of enrolling in the SRA), what are the requirements/process to qualify to take the Bar exam in New York and California?

  • Marc, Tue May 18, 2010 02:13 PM

    the stupidity and laziness of most commenters here is scary. truly hope they won\'t end up as your US attorney.

  • ahmed, Sun May 09, 2010 04:51 AM

    Thank you for the great support and best of luck for everybody :)

  • kLaw, Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:48 PM

    I am a foreign attorney and sat for feb 2010 Bar in CAlifornia. You just have to prove the State Board of examiners that you are in good standing with your home country Supreme Court as an attorney and they will do a moral character as any other student and the MPRE, pass the Bar and you are ready to practice. I defenitely reccomend a Bar prep course.

  • mushiee79, Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 PM


    I completed my LLB from London and my LLM from Wales in UK. Currently i am working as a senior lawyer for a bank in Dubai. I wish to complete the Bar examination in the US. I would like to know the following;
    1. Am i eligible to sit for the bar examination in any state?
    2. which state has the highest pass rates?
    3. which state is the quickest in terms of qualification?
    4.how long is the entire process?
    5.can i do a distant learning course and sit for the exams in the US?



  • jazz, Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:27 PM

    can one take the bar with an llb degree from south africa?

    thank you in advance


  • lloret, Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:11 AM

    hi, I completed a 5 years of legal education in france, and i've just completed an LLM in a common law country (Sherbrooke, Canada), I was wondering whether I could pass the New York Bar exam.
    thanks for your help, best regards

  • number 1, Mon Mar 22, 2010 06:00 PM

    hi, i did my LLB (5YEARS) from india. i am about to do an LLM from a non-law school in USA. so this school has not been approved by the american bar association. i just want to know if i am still eligible to write the bar exam. a reply from you would be really helpful. thanking you in anticipation.

  • AA, Tue Mar 16, 2010 02:47 AM


  • legal97, Fri Mar 12, 2010 06:47 AM

    i am a student of five year law course in India, i wish to pursue my LLM in USA & i would like to know whether i am eligible to take any states exam after getting LLM degree from US law school or it is only for certain states like NY and California?

  • luis, Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 PM

    I am a lawyer in Colombia (South America), I have my permanent residence in the U.S., live in Miami, and I know exactly what I do to be a lawyer in Florida. Check with the University of Miami, and they said they had the LL M, and if I wanted to end transfer those credits to be obtained for Juris Doctor. Also read about a school that Flordia Coastal Law School for this course on line, obviously cheaper than the UM. I would advise me that I do to be a lawyer here in Florida, what the requirements are, and what are the steps and time to do so as well if you have knowledge about college costs and what is right for this process?. Thank you for your cooperation.

  • luis , Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 PM

    I am lawyer in Colombia South america, do you have a guide about, how do I to get my juris doctor degree in USA if is possible?, thank you.

  • Keane, Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 AM

    i would like to knowif it is possible to do an LLM part-time and work in the us with a South African LLB and be elligable for the American bar, and what are the chances of me being able to find work in the U.S with my qualification in order to do this

  • Mohammad A Hossain, Sun Jan 17, 2010 05:30 PM

    I wish to know the Online LL.M programs in USA Universities with a view to take the state bar of california examination. I am a foreign Lawyer

  • DominiumDirectum, Thu Jan 14, 2010 04:42 PM

    Salut a tous ! je voudrais savoir svp la forme de l'examen , peut qulqu'un d'entre ceux ki ont passes l'examen m'en envoyer un modele sur mon mail ? merci d'avance !

  • Kim Ngy, Tue Dec 01, 2009 06:07 AM

    Dear Sir or Madam:

    I have Bachelor's of Law Degree (LL.B) and (LL.M) from Cambodia Law School- Cambodia and have legal work experience almost 10 years, and am willing to take LL.M at the New York Law Schools which specializes in Family Law and IP Law. Can I be qualified to take Bar exam upon my LLM graduation of this state (NY) ? Please advise ?



  • victor O. Augustine, Sun Nov 29, 2009 06:58 PM

    I'm an LLB part 5 student of Law at the University of Abuja,Abuja,Nigeria.Are my eligible to apply for admission into Bar Exam and or LLM? Highest regards,pls.

  • Jack Lappay, Wed Nov 25, 2009 05:21 AM

    I am a graduate of Law in the Philippines. Would I be eligible to take the bar exam here in Hawaii?

  • NGUNI ALAIN, Sun Nov 15, 2009 01:52 PM

    i want to be open to the world of llm

  • Map, Thu Nov 12, 2009 08:24 AM


    I completed the LLB in Thailand (which has a civil law system). I also obtained the LLM degree in Corporate and Securities Law from the London School of Economics (LSE). Currently, I'm practicing law in Thailand. Would I be eligible to take either a NY/California bar exam?

  • Hootan Hemati, Mon Oct 12, 2009 05:14 PM

    I have my BA degree in Political Science. Can I get my LLM at the University of Amsterdam and be eligible to take the bar exam and practice law?

  • inancdakad, Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:08 PM

    Re:I am a LLB lawyer w 2 LLM s(comparative law and tax law) Failed CA Bar in 2003 - Retaking in February 2008: Re-attend Barbri lectures or study at home?

  • btindyebwa, Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 AM


    Brian Tindyebwa.

  • prajakta, Fri Sep 25, 2009 04:02 AM


    I have 3 years bachelors degree in law from india .Can i take the bar exam for virginia .

  • Sarah, Mon Sep 21, 2009 03:43 PM

    Dear Sir,

    I am a Bsc. in Economics holder and a university
    degree in Technical English. I have been working in Consultation and Law related Industry for more than 5 yearss and i am interested in taking a Masters in LLM International Business Law.
    I would like to know the possibility to take the Master Degree in Law in may case.

    Awaiting your replay whilst appreciating your attentions.

    Sincere Regards,

  • argolach, Fri Sep 11, 2009 05:48 PM

    I'm finishing law school on Bologna University in Italy which is a 5 year study. My title after that would be by European laws and that of Bologna Process, Magistrate of Law. I saw that US equivalent is Grad School I think. I'm interested in New York Law practice, and would like to know if it is possible to practice US law even though I studied in a Civil law coutry?
    And would like to know if LLM 1 year program is enough to take the NY bar exam and practice law in the US? It's all so confusing regarding the civil law graduates in the common law countries so I would be really glad if somebody could point me in the right direction or give me a valid explanation.
    Thank You very much in advance,
    Best Regards
    Ivan Ilic

  • WILLIAMS EMONI, Wed Sep 09, 2009 01:50 PM

    hi, i am a lawyer with LL.B and BL Degrees in Nigeria and i want to expand my scope,can i take the Bar Exams without going through the LLM? or what must i do to qualify to practice in a state in the U.s we studied common law,

  • rikus, Sat Aug 08, 2009 07:50 PM

    I have an LLB from South Africa, if i wanted to practise in NY would i need to study further in the US?

    Kind Regards

  • Alejandra , Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:35 PM

    Hi, I have a degree in Law from Mexico, I am about to finish my MBA in AZ and I am still interested to pursue my legal studies degree such as LLM in International or business, can I take the Bar exam after so I can practice in Business Law for example?

  • Terence, Sun Jul 26, 2009 09:28 PM

    Dear Mrs. Stanley,]

    I am a Brazilian lawyer. Would I be eligible to take the Bar exame in the US (Boston or NY) if I did my LLM and PhD program in Brazil? Or do I have to go to a school in the US for another LLM program to qualify to take the Bar?
    Currently, I am living in Cambridge, doing a post-doctorate (Senior Fellow) at Harvard.
    Best regards.

  • michael, Sun Jul 19, 2009 06:57 PM

    I have an LL.B and LL.M degree with a duration of 5 and 2 years, respectively, from my country. Also, I have another LL.M degree from the US. Would I be eligible to sit for the bar in Newyork or California.
    Thanks for your time and consideration,

  • Melissa, Wed Jul 01, 2009 07:46 PM


  • hetal, Sun May 31, 2009 05:15 AM


    I have completed with bachelors in law studies from India which is a three year course. Do i need to do LLM from the US in order to qualify to take the Bar exam in New York and California?


  • Felipe, Wed May 27, 2009 04:34 AM

    I am a Brazilian lawyer. Would I be eligible to take the Bar exame in the US if I did my LLM program in London? Or do I have to go to a school in the US for the LLM program in order to qualify to take the Bar there?

  • seekr, Thu May 14, 2009 04:53 PM

    is it possible to take the bar exam if my foreign degree is not a legal degree, however if I complete a LLM program in US?

    Thanks in advance,

  • Werner Deuerlich, Wed May 06, 2009 03:04 PM

    Dear Mrs. Stanley (or any other reader),

    I completed a foreign legal education over a period of five years and a one-year LL.M. from a common law country (non-US).

    Do you know if it is possible to take the bar exam with that qualification?

    Thank you very much for your help!

    Kind regards

Leave a Comment

If you are already an LLM GUIDE member, please login.

(required, will not be published)

View all Articles