LLM GUIDE - Master of Laws (LL.M.) Programs Worldwide

LLM Discussion Board

LL.M. Discussion Board > USA > Jobs after LLM RSS Feed

Jobs after LLM

llbstudent
Jobs after LLM
Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:20 PM
thanks for the reply i guess i have to stick with it and take that risk because if i dont then i have to most probally change my profession all together which means start from the scratch since there's not much i can do with the education i have without the llm ? but what if i change from corporate law to something else would that help me getting a job and what would that field be?
Show ProfileProfile P.M. Quote
cremaster
Jobs after LLM
Mon Mar 30, 2009 02:31 PM
hey i am about to apply for llm in corporate law in us after my university of london llb external program.

...and i got pretty good grades in my llb and i am hoping in getting in atleast in the top 25 law schools for llm.

llbstudent,
2 questions:

1) How are you getting recommendations ? My understanding of the UofL external program is that there is no student/professor interaction.

2) Your impressions of the grading.

Thanks in advance!
Durham Red
Jobs after LLM
Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:56 PM
The Florida Bar rules are listed here: www.floridabarexam.org/public/main.nsf/faq.html?OpenPage#faq…

Putting ' [any state] bar exam, eligibility' into Google will bring up the relevant state bar's rules.

My reading is that unless you are educated in law in the US you can't practice in Florida.

DC, Louisiana and Texas allow a holder of an LLB and and LLM to sit the bar and practice.

New York and California allow LLB holders to sit the exam.

There are probably more but I haven't Googled them.
chandrakant
Jobs after LLM
Wed Sep 15, 2010 07:45 AM
do you guide me about the job after LLM.
york

Jobs after LLM
Tue Sep 06, 2011 08:07 PM
US legal industry grew by just 100 jobs in 12 months...

www.biglaw.org/news/show/5465/us-legal-industry-grows-by-jus…
wishingstars
Jobs after LLM
Thu Sep 08, 2011 05:19 PM
Can someone tell me what are the requirements to be a LAW Professor in USA? What is the job scenario for teaching jobs?
Raised_Boston
Jobs after LLM
Thu Sep 15, 2011 01:16 AM
My 2 cents on this post are as follows:

1. To work in the US long-term you are realistically going to need to pursue a JD. In this economy (likley to continue this way for the next 4-5 years) and with the current glut of highly qualified attorneys, foreign attorneys will have a VERY hard time. Many JD graduates from decent schools (those in the top 30 or 40) do not have jobs despite having been very aggresive in their pursuing potential employers.

2. Only get an LLM (as opposed to a JD) if you know for certain that you will be returning to your country. If you are lucky and are coming form an elite business oriented law school (i.e. Harvard, Columbia, NYU) and are from the "right" country (i.e. a country with which certain global firms are currently doing a lot of business (Brazil for instance) you might find temporary employment as a "foreign associate".

3. NY and California Bars are very difficult (i.e. 30% passage rate) if you do not take the required first year law courses. As an LLM you will not take all the first year courses and hence have a good chance of failing the Bar.

4. The US legal market is extremly competitive, the most competitive market in the world. Attorneys are paid more (at the high end) than anywhere else, but the competition is tremendous.

Lastly, teaching jobs... very difficult. Unless you have published widley in highly regarded law reviews/journals in a narrow area of the law and have superb credentials, you will face a doom and gloom.

Most people will ignore this post regardless of the difficulties and likley pursue and LLM in any case. Perhaps, however, you will remember this post once you have completed your LLM in the US and cannot find decent employment. Best of luck.

wishingstars
Jobs after LLM
Thu Sep 15, 2011 04:42 PM
Hi R_B
I am a Law graduate from Delhi. Interested in Law teaching globally. US sounds like a tough spot for Lawyers. I am interested in Gender studies so that I can give back to my community and the world at large by advocacy and "Engendered"Law teaching.

Thanks alot for the frank and detailed information.

:)
york

Jobs after LLM
Tue May 15, 2012 07:35 AM
The job market for LLM grads is still not great no matter which country you look. Most job offers from law firms are not aimed at foreign LLM graduates. It may be worth to use LinkedIn to find alumni of your school or to search niche websites with job postings for international applicants (e.g. for Europe www.lawyrs.net/groups/455/legal-jobs).

Also, some law firms actually specifically search for LLM students: www.linklaters.com/JOINUS/LLM/Pages/index.aspx
york

Jobs after LLM
Wed Jun 06, 2012 07:04 AM
Another bad sign:

Hastings cuts class size by 20 per cent in response ro ailing industry
www.biglaw.org/news/show/6239/hastings-cuts-class-size-by-20…
nwular
Jobs after LLM
Fri Jun 08, 2012 06:33 PM
Ah! I guess the sentiments expressed so far are all true, but there are definitely the exceptions.

If you'd plunge yourself in debt to undertake an LL.M. in America - not worth it!

If you're looking for a year off and time to meet new people and tour - definitely.

If you're looking for a boost to your resume - maybe but not necessarily.

If you're looking for new opportunities and ideas - again maybe not necessarily.

Just graduated and honestly wondering why I spent all that money pursuing an LL.M. Again, the experiences differ and for me its definitely a mix. Are foreign trained LL.M.'s getting jobs here - I believe so. Is it difficult? Probably so but not impossible.

Best.
gkh_2005

Jobs after LLM
Sat Jun 09, 2012 05:03 PM
I agree with nwular. LL.M. from U.S. law school is very expensive and the job opportunities thereafter in the U.S. is extremely slim. If you are pursuing after taking loan ,it is not really worth it, as it may be difficult to recover the same in your home country.
york

US law schools cut class sizes
Wed Jun 13, 2012 07:12 AM
At least 10 US law schools cut class sizes

www.biglaw.org/news/show/6263/at-least-10-us-law-schools-cut…

Another bad sign:

Hastings cuts class size by 20 per cent in response ro ailing industry
www.biglaw.org/news/show/6239/hastings-cuts-class-size-by-20…
saurabhmore
Jobs after LLM
Wed Aug 29, 2012 01:36 PM
Hi,
I needed to know about the job opportunities in the states. I have done my M.com [business management] , LLB from India.
I am planning to pursue my LLM in IPR from the US in 2013.
Also guide me about the job opportunities and prospects apart from working in a law firm after my degree eg {working in companies , IT industries, Non-profit organisation etc}
Do , I have to clear the bar exam for it .

[Edited by saurabhmore on 30 Aug 2012]

saurabhmore
Jobs after LLM
Thu Aug 30, 2012 03:52 AM
Hi,
I needed to know about the job opportunities in the states. I have done my M.com [business management] , LLB from [Mumbai university] India in 2011. I have been practicing on criminal side for past 1 year.
I am planning to pursue my LLM in IPR from the US in 2013.
Also guide me about the job opportunities and prospects apart from working in a law firm after my degree eg {working in companies , IT industries, Non-profit organisation etc}
Do , I have to clear the bar exam for it .

Will my M com degree help me in US by any chance for gaining a job.

[Edited by Admin on 30 Aug 2012]

jo_rahul
Jobs after LLM
Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:39 AM
LLM in IPR is a good option if ur a science or an engineering graduate. u have criminal experience. i think u should go for a general corporate or commercial law option rather than a narrow option like IPR.
saurabhmore
Jobs after LLM
Fri Aug 31, 2012 04:34 AM
Well Thank's a lot jo_rahul for your reply to my post.
Intellectual property law or Trade marks and copy rights was one of my subjects for my {optional} for LLB in India . Moreover have heard that there is a good scope for IPR in California due to ample of IT companies . A part from that i feel that rather doing something in general IPR would be providing me with a specialization .
york

Jobs after LLM
Sat Nov 24, 2012 06:51 AM
US law school cut classes due to bad job market: biglaw.org/news/6745/51-of-us-law-schools-cut-size-of-incomi…
york

Jobs after LLM
Mon Nov 26, 2012 08:02 AM
It definitely looks like the number of law school applicants (JD) is dropping:

biglaw.org/news/6748/lsat-figures-drop-by-16.4

I wonder whether the situation with LLM applications is similar.

[Edited by york on 26 Nov 2012]

Brainy Smurf

Jobs after LLM
Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 AM
It is hilarious how non-US resident applicants believe they have a chance of employment within the borders of the US without a single,if any, connection. Attending top universities does not ensure a competitive advantage of employment. The US is an experience-base country. And if the only measure you have are exceptional marks/grades and little experience in the field of choice. Why would any LLC even bother considering your resume/CV?

Before applying to any US uni. Be certain to be flexible and passionate about what ought to be your primary objective. Because within the US, there are many people like yourself who are already there and are not employed or if they are employed, they are in the profession they do not desire.

So many variables to this enquiry.

It remains incomprehensible to non-US residents that good unis do not ensure employment. I am excited, like the next person, if you gain admittance. Once breaching the subjective matters that keep others out and freely being enable to access everything within the borders of an elitist uni. A student should come up with a strategy determining the aftermath of receiving their LLM. To make thyself marketable within the US. You are going to have to spend more time in the US acquiring a JD. After recognising that a LLM was not worth the 6 to 9 month effort. On the contrary, how often to you hear of LLMs being gainfully employed within the US at a fortune 500 company?

Whatever state in the US you set your aim on. Be certain to research their economy. Some US state's economies are better than others. Some of the better economies might be in states you have no recollection about or, possibly, have no interest in residing. That is the major fault of the US. You will have to compromise (conscious decision) with yourself. What will it be?

A good field. Those who are aware will tell you, Taxation/Tax Law. They are correct. You are moving to a capital driven country. Also look into other undesirable fields like Agriculture, Medical, and Maritime.
hawkme
Jobs after LLM
Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 PM
This is, by far, the best single piece of advice anyone will ever get should they think of landing a job in the US following the LLM.

:)
york

Jobs after LLM
Thu Feb 14, 2013 08:32 AM
The US job market for lawyers is still in a downward spiral:

US summer associate numbers drop, continuing a four year trend.
biglaw.org/news/6933/us-summer-associate-numbers-drop

The number of people applying to law school in the US is heading for a 30-year (!) low
biglaw.org/news/6913/law-school-application-numbers-head-sou…

[Edited by york on 14 Feb 2013]

california_dream
Jobs after LLM
Tue May 07, 2013 03:43 PM
I'm reading that it's basically impossible to find a job for a foreign trained attorney post LLM.

What if you get a visa in the US (eg: getting married)?

Would that help? How much?

And what about it in 3/4 years from now, as the economy seems to get better in California ?
NebNeb
Jobs after LLM
Tue May 07, 2013 04:03 PM
I'm reading that it's basically impossible to find a job for a foreign trained attorney post LLM.

What if you get a visa in the US (eg: getting married)?

Would that help? How much?

And what about it in 3/4 years from now, as the economy seems to get better in California ?

I find it hard to believe that having a visa wedding or a visa baby would give you any foothold. Big law companies have resources to fix you a visa, they do not require you to have it. So don't waist your time on that. I might be wrong but none should be that desperate. There might be people on this forum that have the skill to see to the future and see what will be the economic situation in Cali in 4 years. However I wouldn't trust their insight. Just get good connections and a good plan B.

[Edited by NebNeb on 07 May 2013]

legalscholar77
Jobs after LLM
Tue May 07, 2013 06:08 PM

[Edited by legalscholar77 on 07 May 2013]

Related Articles

Do Law Firms Value the LL.M.?
An LL.M. isn't always the certain path to Big Law glory, but it can help make a lawyer's strong resume stronger.
By V. Wish
7 Reasons Why Lawyers Do An LL.M.
Some of the most common reasons why some lawyers go back to law school - and some of the reasons they might think twice.
By V. Wish

More Articles