LLM GUIDE - Master of Laws (LL.M.) Programs Worldwide

LLM Discussion Board

LL.M. Discussion Board > United Kingdom - Ireland > Admitted to Cambridge 2010/2011 RSS Feed

Admitted to Cambridge 2010/2011

melbsolicitor
Mon Apr 19, 2010 05:16 PM
Well, so much for that theory. Maybe us all unleashing the fury on Ms Wade's inbox wasn't such a hot idea. No one seems to have heard anything! As fate would have it, I just woke up - it's 3.10am on Tues here, so 6.10pm on Monday night there. Unless the law faculty are working late, I guess we're in for (at least) another day's wait... C'est la vie!

Although I was initially reticent, I'm not worried about emailing as 1) the 15 April deadline had passed, and 2) it seems that most people have emailed by now anyway. Win or lose, I'll let you know. Cheers all.

[Edited by melbsolicitor on 19 Apr 2010]

Show ProfileProfile P.M. Quote
♥ malteser ♥
Mon Apr 19, 2010 05:21 PM
hahaha well it was a theory right? ;-D yeah i think it's highly unlikely we hear anything now, unless they're really working overtime like they did this weekend.hopefully we get to hear the answer, whatever it is, tomorrow...then again i hoped i'd hear today too lol :)
TimeWillTell
Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:37 AM
No reply here either, I guess another day of waiting!
TochB
Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:56 AM
I just found out the status of my application. I was unsuccessful. Good luck to everybody else.

[Edited by TochB on 20 Apr 2010]

Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:08 AM
I called yesterday Ms Wade... unfortunately...

for those still waiting, wish you the agony ends soon enough!
♥ malteser ♥
Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 AM
tochb and 18120 - thanks for letting us know, it's greatly appreciated. i'm sorry u didnt get in :( wishing you the best with whatever u decide to do.

i have had no reply to my email yet...!!
julietteharbour

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 AM
Tochb and 18120 I am very very sorry. Thanks so much for sharing the news, I will do the same as soon as I know anything. My Camsis has not yet been updated and I have received no email (after emailing yesterday around noon London time) - also, big roaches have invaded the desk area in my house (living in China I learnt that cockroaches are like mice in London - inevitable) which makes it a bit harder to approach my laptop and check for Oxbridge signs of life, but maybe that is a good thing, I'm so obsessive. I just wish Cam would let people know without all this unnecessary agony... How about decision, email - decision, email - decision, email?! I really feel like we do not get our application fee money's worth, having to chase poor Mrs. Wade like that.
melbsolicitor
Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 PM
TochB and 18120,

My most sincere commiserations. That you have put aside your disappointment for a moment to share your news with us speaks volumes of the strength of your character. Thank you.

To Juliette, TimeWillTell and others - I haven't received an email, nor has my Camsis been updated. I emailed Ms Wade at about 7.00pm on Monday 19 April Australian time (about 10.00am Cambridge time).

I too have moved furniture around my flat. I must say I'm impressed with the new configuration of my bedroom. I wonder if I'll randomly wake up at 3am again this morning and stumble out to my PC during the night tonight...

[Edited by melbsolicitor on 20 Apr 2010]

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:41 PM
As long as you do not start moving furnutire at that time... I think you will be ok with the neighbours...

At any rate, the best of luck to those still waiting!

As for me I hoped that I would have to cross the Channel... now I will just have to cross the Atlantic... Who knows, maybe it's for the best. :-)

[Edited by 18120 on 20 Apr 2010]

CanuckLLM
Tue Apr 20, 2010 03:29 PM
Hmm, I'm really not an expert as far as scholarships from Cambridge are concerned. However, you specifically asked for the Cambridge Trust, and I really think the chances there are rather low, especially after the decisions of the Gates Scholarship have been made.
Keep in mind, however, that there are College scholarships as well. Unfortunately, most of them don't really pay too much money, they often consist of prizes for good results etc. These college scholarships of course depend on where you are going, so you should check the relevant homepages and apply as soon as possible. Maybe your friend ment these scholarships, as they depend on the college you are put into and thus take longer to decide?
To sum up, I would strongly advise you to look for other scholarships from your home country - it can't hurt, and I think the chances are often much higher!

I read the following in the BGS Offer Booklet, so hopefully all is not lost on the Cambridge Trusts front:

"The Cambridge Trusts offer competitive awards for non-UK students.Many more people apply than will receive an
award. The Cambridge Trusts awards are announced over several months; some are made as late as August or
September."
london_student
Tue Apr 20, 2010 05:31 PM
Hey,

just thought id let you guys know, i checked my CAMSIS and it's been updated. It states that a conditional offer has been made, and now seeking college membership.

Im sure all the applications are slowly starting to trickle through BGS now and everyones will be updated.
Onefootinthedoor
Tue Apr 20, 2010 06:21 PM
Heya london_student, thanks for the heads up.

My CAMSIS has updated to state that the BGS has made me a conditional offer too !
LLMblogger
Tue Apr 20, 2010 06:28 PM
I was hoping mine had too, but it still says "You have been recommended for an offer subject to Board of Graduate Studies approval." I really do hope that the BGS approval is just a formality.
Best of luck to those still waiting.
Lolly
Wed Apr 21, 2010 09:46 AM
Hello,

Yay for finally receiving offer letters.

I was wondering:

1) if anyone has received a college offer?

2) if college fees are over and above the amount quoted in the offer letter for the yearly cost of the course?

I also noticed the Gates scholarships have been announced. Is anyone aware of when the balance of the Cambridge Trust Scholarships are decided?

Thanks!

♥ malteser ♥
Wed Apr 21, 2010 03:21 PM
Hey all, I have updates :)

After noting that TochB and 18120 had phoned the faculty, I decided I should pluck up the courage to do so too.
It turns out they actually made me an offer a while back, but the email got sent to another email address by mistake!!
So I encourage you all who haven't yet heard anything to just phone, you never know!

That being said, my camsis still hasn't been updated at all--it still says 'papers with degree committee'. Neither have i received an offer letter (perhaps hardly surprising anyway with all the ash cloud drama). But to those of you who are in my situation, apparently there's nothing to worry about, they're still updating the camsis accounts :)
CanuckLLM
Wed Apr 21, 2010 03:51 PM
Hello,

Yay for finally receiving offer letters.

I was wondering:

1) if anyone has received a college offer?

2) if college fees are over and above the amount quoted in the offer letter for the yearly cost of the course?

I also noticed the Gates scholarships have been announced. Is anyone aware of when the balance of the Cambridge Trust Scholarships are decided?

Thanks!

I haven't received an offer from a college yet, although my camSIS account was only updated to reflect the conditional offer two days ago.

As for college fees, they are included in the yearly cost. If you go to the "Tracking Your Finances" link after you've received the conditoinal offer, it includes (or at least mine does) 2,250 pounds for college fees.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it looks like Cambridge Trust funding offers can be made as late as August and September. A former LLM student at Cambridge has also confirmed with me that funding can come pretty late in the game.
Lolly
Wed Apr 21, 2010 08:00 PM
Thanks CanuckLLLM, sorry I missed your earlier post.
I checked and I have the same amount noted for College fees under Tracking Your Finances".

Drumsandguns
Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:03 PM
I got my acceptance e-mail a month ago, and CAMSIS still says my papers are with the degree comm. I emailed Ms Wade a few weeks ago with questions about funding* and haven't got a reply, so I'm guessing they're pretty busy.

*Home students - about £15k, right?
julietteharbour

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:49 PM
everhopeful congrats!!!!!! that is terrific news!!!!!
melbsolicitor
Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:56 PM
Congrats everhopeful!

Still no word here. How about you, TWT and Juliette?

I am finally beginning to think (unless I miraculously have an offer by email that went astray!) that hope is fading fast as the delay in me receiving a response is probably due to the lag between the law faculty stamping 'NO' on my application, sending it back to the BGS, who will in turn contact me. As the law faculty only emails successful applicants, you would expect them to hear before those who are rejected as the latter has a few extra steps in the process.

I'm going to call Ms Wade about 6pm today (my time) as it will be 9am in Cambridge. Time to end this nonsense and get on with life :-)
julietteharbour

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:12 AM
No words yet, and I sent an email some three days ago :/ I am not a keen user of emoticons faces to express my feelings but

:/ :( :/ :/ :/ :( :( and :(

(How do you make the angry one?) Melb, even if it comes from me, an advocate of resignation and preemptive despair, don't give up hope! As I commented on numerous occasions, some people still get offers as late as May, though that's insane and as my boyfriend tells me (he is the unfortunate bearer of my Cambridge hysteria) I should sue them for emotional distress :) Of course he is American and
a school teacher, when I try to explain to him why that would not be possible, after a while he just loses interest. I still love him dearly. In conclusion, THERE IS HOPE! Look at Everhopeful's situation!!!!! Until you're out, you're IN.

Please let us know how your phone call goes. Today I will work on getting brave enough to call myself...

TimeWillTell
Thu Apr 22, 2010 01:01 AM
No word here either...
isha
Thu Apr 22, 2010 07:52 AM
Congrats..Admitted to Cambridge..wow..
Could you sent me a copy of ur statement of purpose??
It would be really appreciated if u could do so..
Thank You..
flims
Thu Apr 22, 2010 08:01 AM
I've heard nothing so far, and I think I'm done with waiting. It gets really tiring after a while...

I am going to accept an offer from another university today. It should save me a lot of time, as I hope I will stop frantically checking my CAMsis every hour. Perhaps, that will even give me a chance to get some work done...;)

Melb - good luck with your call. If I got my timing right, you will be calling SW about now.
♥ malteser ♥
Thu Apr 22, 2010 08:28 AM
melb-GOOD LUCK with that call!

and actually i'd really like to thank you, juliette and twt (and all the other contributors), because with us being all in the no-news-going-crazy-situation it really helped to talk here :) (made a change from driving, in my case, my mum crazy!)

keep me posted!!!