LLM GUIDE - Master of Laws (LL.M.) Programs Worldwide

LLM Discussion Board

LL.M. Discussion Board > United Kingdom - Ireland > The Definitive 2011 Cambridge Thread RSS Feed

The Definitive 2011 Cambridge Thread

BlackWolf
Wed Mar 02, 2011 02:20 PM
Good morning everyone,
Best congratulations for all you have accepted.

I would like to ask here one thing, even though it is quite late to mention. I heard that it will be extremely hard to get in LLM especially when you have no working experiences, which apply to myself. However, purely based upon academic perspective, how much GPA will be considered to be enough?

I will appreciate your help. Cheers.

Many of us, myself included, have absolutely no work experience.

After all the LLM is an academic degree rather than a vocational course : )
Show ProfileProfile P.M. Quote
fulloflaw
Wed Mar 02, 2011 02:38 PM
Well doesn't look like acceptances are being sent out today. So much for my twice-a-week in-the-afternoon theory.

V&Aokgo
Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:19 PM
Maybe (just maybe) Tomorrow!
theo176
Thu Mar 03, 2011 01:07 AM
if it donesnt happen, i wont fill out a clown school, i will seek it following years
OK_Computer
Thu Mar 03, 2011 02:08 AM
I have a question for anyone currently at Cambridge or in the know. The faculty's page is advertising for a new Downing Professor of the Laws of England. Is Prof. Sir Baker leaving??? For the prospective legal historian, this is akin to Bono leaving U2.
lemonsherbert
Thu Mar 03, 2011 08:27 AM
I have a question for anyone currently at Cambridge or in the know. The faculty's page is advertising for a new Downing Professor of the Laws of England. Is Prof. Sir Baker leaving??? For the prospective legal historian, this is akin to Bono leaving U2.

Oh no, say it isn't so - Prof Baker was one of the major reasons I applied to Cambridge!
BlackWolf
Thu Mar 03, 2011 08:55 AM

Unfortunately he is!

www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/academic/secretary/professorship…
lemonsherbert
Thu Mar 03, 2011 09:08 AM
That's so disappointing, I wonder what shape the legal history department will be in as a consequence
KiwiKid
Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 AM
Any Kiwis out there received an offer?

I'm based in NZ and am yet to hear, but know of one NZ based person who received an offer last week. On that basis, I've pretty much given up hope..

Congratulations to all those who have received offers, and best of luck to those still waiting to hear.
JsDupont
Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 PM
Don't lose hope guys. Although it seems as they are proceeding by countries, they must have more than one round of offers. They probably will be making offers until the end of the month
cambridge11
Thu Mar 03, 2011 01:42 PM
I would like to ask here one thing, even though it is quite late to mention. I heard that it will be extremely hard to get in LLM especially when you have no working experiences, which apply to myself. However, purely based upon academic perspective, how much GPA will be considered to be enough?

I will appreciate your help. Cheers.

I don't think that Cambridge cares if you have work experience or not. A fairly small minority of us are even qualified in our home countries. More than 3-4 years of work experience is extremely unusual, and many people have come either straight from undergrad or have done only a year of post-degree work.

As far as GPA, I'm not sure what country you are from. They typically prefer a first-class degree or equivalent (in US terms, an A- or 3.7 GPA), but I think there were some rumors earlier in this thread of people being admitted with 2:1s. I've not really discussed my classmates' grades with them, so I can't say how common it is for Cambridge to go below a First.

[Edited by cambridge11 on 03 Mar 2011]

applicant07
Thu Mar 03, 2011 02:35 PM
This wait is a very long one
OK_Computer
Thu Mar 03, 2011 04:29 PM
The news about Sir Prof J H Baker is very disappointing. I wonder who they will hire to attempt to fill his shoes. I suppose we'll get a timetable in the coming months, but I don't know if it will answer the question.
cricket
Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 AM
Has anybody got an update on his/her selfservice page yet?

[Edited by cricket on 04 Mar 2011]

krof
Fri Mar 04, 2011 04:19 PM
Not yet - one week after the admission email.
Vladimir007
Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:42 PM
Is it likely that Cambridge will issue decesions on saturday just like last week?
Holly_Golightly

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 AM
Vladimir07, I believe that nothing is more or less "likely" to happen. It seems that there is no strict pattern when it comes to the order in which the decisions are being made.
I know that it is comforting to rely on a certain rule or to have expectations from a particular day of the week...
or simply whine purposlessly on this thread (which is pretty much what I am doing right now) :)
In the end, however, you either get the email or slip in your clown shoes. As simple as that.
nooranand
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 AM
Hi everyone,
I was going through last years Cambridge admissions thread and it seems that people received offers as late as mid-April, so there is still hope!
I haven't gone through the entire thread here.. Any Indians received an offer yet? I'm still waiting!
perhapsy
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 PM

Nope, apparently from last year's thread the Camsis page only updated itself sometime in April. Maybe it'll be a bit sooner this year?
Uff
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 PM
Hi everyone,
I was going through last years Cambridge admissions thread and it seems that people received offers as late as mid-April, so there is still hope!
I haven't gone through the entire thread here.. Any Indians received an offer yet? I'm still waiting!

Hi nooranand,
According to their website offers will be sent till 15th April. I am not sure if they will stick to their deadlines though...

I contacted Ms. Wade and she confirmed my application is still under consideration. Any other brazilians admitted?

www.law.cam.ac.uk/courses/llm-summary-of-key-dates.php
Vladimir007
Wed Mar 09, 2011 09:20 AM
No more offers in more than a week?
cricket
Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:22 PM

Nope, apparently from last year's thread the Camsis page only updated itself sometime in April. Maybe it'll be a bit sooner this year?

Urgh, but how are we supposed to accept the offer then? Did you accept via mail??
OK_Computer
Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:51 PM
No update to my Camsis, ten days or so since the offer.

I don't think they necessarily expect you to accept or deny the offer for some time. A consideration for some (including me) is what courses will be offered in the coming year. Apparently it isn't even known who the Downing Professor of the Laws of England will be, which is important for someone wanting to study English legal history.
Holly_Golightly

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 AM
I just got my conditional offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:))))))

A week ago I received an offer regarding a scholarship at a German uniersity and so I sent an email to Miss Wade 2 days ago asking her whether it was possible to find out about the outcome of my application by the end of March (bearing in mind that I am facing a deadline regarding my other offer).

Anyway, this is a proof there are more offers to come.
So good luck to everyone still waiting!!
LBB
Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 AM
Hi everyone,

Hi nooranand,
According to their website offers will be sent till 15th April. I am not sure if they will stick to their deadlines though...

I contacted Ms. Wade and she confirmed my application is still under consideration. Any other brazilians admitted?

www.law.cam.ac.uk/courses/llm-summary-of-key-dates.php

Hi Uff,
I am Brazilian and got my offer on Feb 26.
Good luck!

---
LBB